Re: Voodoo 3

David Steinberg wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what to do to set up my
> voodoo 3 to provide hardware-accelerated OpenGL under X 3.3.6?
>
> At this point, what I think I know is that Mesa is a free implementation
> of the OpenGL API, and that it can work with (over?) Glide, which is the
> Voodoo's API (also the name of the implementation thereof).  Am I anywhere
> close?
>
> But I'm completely lost as to what to do to get it to work...
>
> I've installed the following packages (from potato):
> libglide2-v3
> libglide2-dev
> glide2-base
> mesag3-glide2
> mesag3-widgets
> mesag-glide2-dev
> mesag-widgets-dev
>
> Okay, so the dev packages are probably overkill at this point, but what
> the heck?  :)
>
> If I try to run /usr/bin/test3Dfx, I get:
> gd error (glide): Can't find or access Banshee/V3 board
> gd error (glide): grSstSelect:  non-existent SSTSegmentation fault
>
> In the description for libglide2-v3, it says "You'll need the /dev/3dfx
> kernel driver to use this library."  I have no clue what to do about
> this; where would I get the this kernel driver?
>
> I haven't had much luck in finding current documentation (I assume things
> have changed significantly since the 3dfx howto was last updated 3 years
> ago, since it specifically mentions that there is no kernel configuration
> necessary).  If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd be most
> appreciative.

You need to install or build the 3dfx kernel module, install the
device3dfx-source package (in "sid" there is also the device3dfx-module-2.2.18)
and follow the readme to create the module (easy if you use the kernel-package).

To enable the hw-accelerated OpenGL (for example, the OpenGL screensaver), you
should use "export MESA_GLX_FX=fullscreen" in your bash (o something like this,
i don't recall correctly)...

Andrea