Re: Recommend Version/book/cd source

Eric Richardson wrote:

> >From the Debian site it would seem that 2.2r2 (potato) would be a good
> choice. I would prefer something that would have the least problems
> installing, running etc. This will be the users first taste of Linux and
> my first install of debian. Do you agree?

Debian is a lot harder than another distro like Red Hat or Mandrake,
where I started. But once you sort of know wha you're doing, Debian is
far superior (IMHO). The 2.2 setup is foolproof if you want to start
with Debian. I wouldn't have said the same for 2.1. It's just that
certain things like sound and apm are not up and running without some
work.

> I also would also like to buy a CD and I think Official CD with contrib
> to Debian would be fine. Any recommended sources from this list?
> http://www.debian.org/distrib/vendors (US)

I was recommended Cheapytes and it's a great set. No CDR.

> I would also like a book recommendation specifically for Debian from the
> URL below and perhaps one general reference book as well. I saw someone
> mention Running Linux. Is this a good general reference?
> http://www.debian.org/distrib/books

Running Linux is great. Every time I got back to it there's something I
missed. I've yet to see anything that comes close. It's not Debian
specific, but there's some great Debian Installation text files on the
CD that will do that for you.

I'm not one of the regular pros. I've been on Debian 7-8 months now and
think it the best.

Jonathan

--

	    "Hey, I think I finally got the hang of i-"