Re: whoops -subject meant to be software RAID

To quote John Griffiths <john@capmon.com>,
# ># Would this be worthwhile? How hard is it to set up a software raid?
# >what do I do? does it matter that i want the whole OS as well as the
# >data storage mirrored?
# >
# >Fairly easy. Read the appropriate HOWTOs are http://www.linuxdoc.org
# >
# >Dave
# >
# OK.. thanks for pointing me there.
#
# so on a debian potata box would i need to recompile the kernel? or
could i
#
# #apt-get install kernel-patch-2.2.10-raid
# #apt-get install raidtools2
#
# and then use the raidtools?
#
# www.debian.org package lists makes no use of RAID1 which is the level
i'd want to go for...

As a rule, I don't use prepackaged kernels. However, looks like those
apt-get lines would do the trick. Unless you're mounting your root
filesystem as RAID, you can use RAID modules. So long as /lib/modules
isn't a RAID array, RAID support doesn't need to be compiled into the
kernel.

So, you might only need to add modular support for RAID in your current
kernel sources, and then add the appropriate modules to /etc/modules ,
before your RAID partition is mounted.

I am, unfortunatly, unfamiliar with what Debian does concerning RAID. As
always, documentation is your best resource.

Have fun :)

Dave