Connection troubles

I have got now Debian Sid (with 2.4-kernel) installed, but I have one
problem:

I can connect to the internet:
however I can't do any of the usual things like ssh, telnet, get a
webpage or so.

I am able to use ping and can ping anybody. (numerical or names work)
(Icq works, have not dound out what else works, does not work)

how can I see, if I have eg a firewall? ( I mean the rules building it
up? )

Has some of you an idea, how I can get closer to the troubles?

I have no idea yet, what the reason could be.

Thank you for the advice, mattHias Wieser
Please also cc me because I only get the digest :-)
--
    /\_/\  \ \_/ \_/ /       *  Matthias Wieser  *