Re: Debian. Gonna give it a whirl :)

To quote Sebastiaan <S.Breedveld@ITS.TUDelft.NL>,
# > Pfff, I really don't know how many Kbs of packages you need to
# > upgrade.  The Xfree86 packages changed since 2.2r0, IIRC, so it
could
# > be quite a few Kbs..
#
# Too much. It takes already an hour to download the kernel source
(ideal
# line), and that is only 15MB. You will be better off buying the cd's.
#
# Depending on your demands, you can buy only two new CD's and download
some
# other stuff you might need.

This is all a matter of patience, and in some cases, cost.

In North America, local regional calls are free - they don't cost
anything. Likewise, unlimited internet access can usually be bought for
about $20US a month. I've been using Linux pretty much exclusively for
three years, I guess, and I've only bought two boxed distributions. Even
then, I had downloaded the ISOs before I decided to pay the distribution
makers.

Sure, it took ~18 hours for a 640 meg CD image, but hey, I can just
leave my computer to do its thing.

Dave