Re: Turning off services SOLVED

On Sun, 7 Jan 2001 15:52:17 +0000, sena said:

> On 07/01/2001 at 16:31 +0100, Stefan Frank wrote:
>  > What i'm doing usually is to rename the init-script under /etc/init.d/ to
>  > original-filename.NO. This will affect all runlevels but i don't care.
>  > IMO it's simple and quite obvious (for me at least).
>  >
>  > Anyone got a better idea ?
>  >
>  Debian has an excellent set of scripts for this and much more..
>
>  Why don't you do (as root) "update-rc.d -f service-name remove" and later,
>  when you want to enable it again, do a "update-rc.d service-name defaults"?
>
>  Simple, quick and effective. :)

	Not that simple or effective when you need to reset the
links which are not defaults. You'll have to save the original non-
default runlevels and two-digit sequence code used by init to
decide which order to run the scripts in.
	When defaults is used the service starts in runlevels 2345
and stops in 016 and the links will have sequence code 20.
	You will need to explicitly specify anything that does not
have these default values.