Re: Packaging Policy.

Chris Gray wrote:
>     cp> recall. Now I don't know what the status of the maintainer of
>     cp> this package is, but what are the Debian policy/ethical issues
>     cp> involved if I suddenly piped up and said I had [unofficial?]
>     cp> packages available for this?
>
> It's called hijacking a package, and would be unethical unless you
> made it very clear that your package is unofficial.

Er, no it's not. It's called putting a deb up in an unofficial apt
repository. People do it all the time, and there is nothing unethical
about it. This is free fortware, remember?

"hijacking a package" is very bad loaded terminology that makes some
hidden (and IMHO invalid) assumptions about the way Debian works. More
importantly, you need an account on ftp-master to do it.

--
see shy jo