Re: Parallel attached CDR - recomendations?

On January  5, 2001 06:49 pm, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I am looking for a method to archive a bunch of stuff off of a couple
> different computers and since one is a laptop and one a desktop, it
> seems a parallel attached CDR drive might be the answer (I'm not
> enthused about Zip or Iomega drives).  I know that the kernel has
> support for these devices, but I would like others' opinions on a
> good drive, write reliability, etc.  Speed is secondary at this point
> and a 2 or 4x write speed would be more than adequate.  Perhaps such
> beasts don't exist and I'm just imagining things.  Right now I'm
> running Potato on both machines with kernel 2.2.14 on one and 2.2.15
> on the other (been too lazy to upgrade) if that makes a difference.

The MicroSolutions (www.micro-solutions.com) Backpack CD-ReWriter works
with 2.2 kernels.  You need a binary only module from there website.
It does not work with 2.4.  The bpck.o module from the normal paride
drivers does not work with this drive.

I can get 4x writing even with X runnign on a Compaq Presario 1275
(AMDK6-2 366MHz, 96MB RAM, EPP parallel port w/ interupts enabled).
Reading CDs sometimes crashes the machine, so I usse the backpack for
writing only and use the built in CDROM for reading.

--
Shawn D'Alimonte   sdalimon@home.com