Postinstall of MySQL and php4 - newbie question

Hi there,

I recently changed from Suse 6.3 to debian 2.2 and I´am quite happy with
the system.

Apache is up with mod_perl and I have Postgres running. For a project I
need to post install php4 and mysql. I have downloaded the appropriate
files from the debian site and they are on a CD now. As I am a newbie to
the debian package system

- can anybody please tell me what to do now (the commands) ?
- does debian automatically compiles php with my apache when using the
debian package management ?
- are there any traps ?

Thanks !

Damian D.