Re: help debugging a compiler error (cpp)

> And mine...
>
> fennywood:/usr/src# update-alternatives --display cc
> cc - status is auto.
>  link currently points to /usr/bin/gcc
> /usr/bin/gcc - priority 20
>  slave cc.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/gcc.1.gz
> Current `best' version is /usr/bin/gcc.
>
> > cc is pointing at gcc.  I'm suspecting that on yours it is somehow pointing
> > t cc1 which doesn't appear to exist on you system.  If you do (again as
> > root):
> > update-alternatives --config cc
> > you should be able to redirect the cc symlink to something that exists.
>
> I have no idea where it gets the idea there's a cc1 somewhere...

I'm certainly not a gcc expert, but I believe cc1 is the "internal"
executable for the compiler.  You should have one if your gcc is installed
properly, but it won't be in your $PATH:

$ locate cc1
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/2.95.2/cc1
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/2.95.2/cc1plus

Having said that, I don't really know what your problem is.  Check to see
that your cc1 does indeed exist.  It's part of the "gcc" package:

$ dpkg -S /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/2.95.2/cc1
gcc: /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/2.95.2/cc1