Re: Network Throughput

On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 03:35:59PM +0100, Philipp Schulte wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 03:24:49PM +0100, Sebastiaan wrote:
>
> > Just curious: when you write an article in which you use MegaBytes and
> > MegaBits a lot, how do you distinguish between them?
>
> Somewhere I have read that it is common to use Bits when talking about
> data that has to be transmitted and Bytes when talking about stored
> data.
> I assume, that everybody knows that "100Mb-network" means we are
> talking about bit/sec while "100mb-file" means megabyte.
> Phil

It seems sensible to use the lower case b when referring to bits and
the upper case B when referring to bytes.  This is the convention I've
observed particularly with regard to DSL performance claims.  (Though
I'd hate to have you hold me to it being consistently used.)

--
David Benfell
benfell@greybeard95a.com

				[from fortune]