Re: Network Throughput

On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 03:35:59PM +0100, Philipp Schulte wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 03:24:49PM +0100, Sebastiaan wrote:
> > Just curious: when you write an article in which you use MegaBytes and
> > MegaBits a lot, how do you distinguish between them?
> Somewhere I have read that it is common to use Bits when talking about
> data that has to be transmitted and Bytes when talking about stored
> data.
> I assume, that everybody knows that "100Mb-network" means we are
> talking about bit/sec while "100mb-file" means megabyte.
> Phil
It seems sensible to use the lower case b when referring to bits and
the upper case B when referring to bytes.  This is the convention I've
observed particularly with regard to DSL performance claims.  (Though
I'd hate to have you hold me to it being consistently used.)

David Benfell
The grand leap of the whale up the Fall of Niagara is esteemed, by all
who have seen it, as one of the finest spectacles in nature.
                -- Benjamin Franklin.

				[from fortune]