Re: HELP: X: /tmp/.X11-unix has suspicoius ownership, aborting.

On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, Berthold Cogel wrote:

> Hello!
>
> After updating to XFree86 4.x I'm unable to start a local X session. I
> can start XFree86 manualy, but startx or xdm give me the message 'X:
> /tmp/.X11-unix has suspicoius ownership, aborting.'. After a reboot,
> /tmp/.X11-unix is set to owner 'root' and group 'staff'. Setting group
> as 'root' fixes the problem, so that I can run startx. Is there a method
> to fix this problem permanently?

which are the permissions on /tmp directory?

maybe you have a 's' in group permissions; setting it to 'x' may solve
your problem.

try: # chmod 1777 /tmp
and change its ownership to root.root (chown root.root /tmp)

HTH,

[]s,
Mario O.de Menezes            "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but
    IPEN-CNEN/SP                 is the Lord's purpose that prevails"
http://curiango.ipen.br/~mario                 Prov. 19.21