Re: Many install questions

For your USB question, I've compiled a 2.2.18 kernel on my debian potato in
order to use a USB mouse (and a internel trackpoint in the same time).
First I can tell you that it works really good. I'm able to hot-plug and
hot-unplug the mouse and that's a good point for a laptop.
There's already USB support in the potato kernel but you need to modify a
makefile to see it when you do make xconfig. I don't know if it works for a
USB mouse (certainly) because I've figured out HowTo after switching to
2.2.18.

For GPM the command is the following :

gpm -m /dev/input/mice -t imps2

Note that it's mice and not mouse because the kernel send all mouse events
here so you can use simultaneously multiple mice on your USB tree.

For X you can use gpm as a repeater (option -R) or configure
/dev/input/mice as a imps2 mouse. For my XFree86 4.0.2 I use the following
configuration:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"