Re: formatting new partition

To quote john gennard <joney@clara.co.uk>,
# It seems formatting can be done with 'mkfs' - most of the manpage
# is (hopefully!) clear, but I have seen no guidance on what block
# sizes would be appropriate or what the advantages/disadvantages
# of different ones are. 512 and 8192 may well be the extremes of
# choice - but what should I select and why?

Well, most of that is done automatically. If you have Windows on the
machine, you should use 'mkfs.vfat', so it can read it too. If you don't
have Windows, stick with ext2, and run 'mkfs.ext2 /dev/<harddrive
device>'. It should Just Work(tm). :)

Dave