Re: Package Config Diffs

On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 12:02:15AM -0500, Fredrick Paul Eisele wrote:
> For system administration...  In order to reconstruct a system...  It
> is easy/rivial to get a list of all the instaned packages on a
> machine.  But, getting a list of the modified configuration files
> (presuming any modified file is a config file of some type) and the
> differences is a little harder.  I am thinging of extracting all files
> from a package into a scratch directory and then comparing against
> what is actually installed, looping over all installed packages.  This
> seems a bit excessive, any suggestions?

It's my understanding config files have and md5sum which is used to
determine whether they should be updated or the user should be prompted.
These appear to live in /var/lib/dpkg/info/<package>.md5sums.  So I
guess, you just need to extract the appropriate md5sum from each of
these files and compare it to the md5sum of whatever file you're
interested in.

Each <package>.md5sums file seems to have the format:

<md5sum> <path to file from '/' (it's not and absolute path)>

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>