Re: fdisk program in MSDOS

Michael Light wrote:

I just recently bought a debian software package and I've been reading the book 'Learning Debian GNU/Linux'. I tried using the fdisk utility on my hard drive. One of the things I've noticed is that on my menu there is no number 5. Change current fixed disk drive. Is that necessary and what do I do if it is?

"Fixed disk drive" is alternative terminology for "hard drive". This option will only appear in MS-DOS's fdisk utility if there's more than one hard drive in your machine. By default the utility is set up to work with partitions on the first hard drive. In order to work with partitions on a second (third, etc) drive, you would then use the option 5 to set "Change current fixed disk drive" so that instead of working on the first drive, it'd be working with the second (third, etc) one.

Be aware that there's also a Linux version of fdisk. It's more powerful than the MS-DOS version, but not quite as easy to work with. Debian also has another utility called cfdisk which is, in my opinion, the best utility for partitioning a drive in Linux.

As a general rule, you want to create/delete MS-DOS partitions with MS-DOS's fdisk, and you want to create/delete Linux partitions with one of the Linux tools (fdisk, cfdisk, Redhat's DiskDruid, etc); in other words, you generally want to use the utility for the OS that you want to create/delete the partition for, whether that's DOS, or Linux, or Be, or OS/2, etc. So if you're going to have a dual-boot configuration, I'd suggest you use MS-DOS's fdisk to create the DOS partitions, leaving enough blank space for Linux partitions, which you should then create during the Linux installation using one of the Linux utilities.

Another gotcha that you might run into: you can only have 4 primary partitions on an IDE drive (if you have SCSI, don't worry about it); so if you wanted, say, a C: and a D: drive in DOS/Windows, and a / and a /home and a swap file in Linux, all on the same IDE drive, you'd have to make at least one of these partitions an extended partition. If you're new to partitioning drives, and you're just starting out with Linux, you'll probably want to start out with just a single / (root) partition and a swap partition in Linux. Later, after you've wiped the drive and started over a couple of times (the best way to learn is to do it several times, a little differently each time), you can graduate to using multiple partitions, which is a good idea, especially on a production machine such as a server, but not particularly important (but still a good idea) on a home machine.

Kent