Re: Tracking down IP's

On Sun, Dec 31, 2000 at 02:30:25PM -0600, Richard Cobbe wrote:
> Either way, it's still a private IP address range.  NOBODY should let
> packets with one of these addresses, either as source or destination, cross
> a network boundary.  If the ISP is getting this traffic from its upstrea
> provider, it should configure the router between it and the provider to
> drop all private address ranges, and let the provider know it's leaking
> private IPs.

Hmmm.  Wish my ISP followed those rules.  I can root around their
10.x.x.x network without problems.  And a friend on Qwest/USWest was
able to do the same.  I originally became curious about it when I
realized that traces outbound show the 10.x.x.x network and my DSL
device is configured in a layer-2 bridging mode.

Someone was VERY lazy in their network design meetings.  Tsk tsk.

Betcha' the router jocks at both places have CCNA certifcations
or higher from Cisco too.  Boy howdy!

--
Nate Duehr <nate@natetech.com>