Re: Official Debian

on Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 08:45:42AM -0800, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry (shaleh@valinux.com) wrote:
> O'Reilly has a Debian book, I seem to recall it having a 2.1 cd in the
> jacket.

Poor quality, dated, and a nonstandard distro.  You can read what there
is worth reading from it at O'Reilly's website.

Going agains my usual recommendations, Sams has a nice introductory
Debian book.  It's ***NOT*** the fat "Debian GNU/Linux Unleashed"
volume, but a thin (1/2 inch or so) introductory guide.

    Thomas Down, _Installing Debian GNU/Linux, Sams, 11/1999, $19.95.
    197 pp.
    ISBN: 0672317451
    http://www1.fatbrain.com/asp/bookinfo/bookinfo.asp?theisbn=0672317451&vm=

Includes a 2.1 Slink installation disk (you can use this to install the
base system, then upgrade via apt-get over the 'Net).

Documentation at the Debian website, and this list, are probably your
best bets.

The 2.0 "Official Debian" book is a bit dated.

General GNU/Linux books (_Running Linux_, _Linux In a Nutshell_) and a
good sysadmin book (Nemeth or Frisch) are your best general bets.