OT - Virus?

I know this is a little OT but this is about the only forum where I
provide the email address that the message in question was received from.
And besides, you gurus should be able to straighten this out :-).  I just
got an email (not at this address) warning of a GNU/Linux virus named LinX
that is _supposedly_ going to destroy my shadow password file next month.
It contained an executable that was supposed to scour your computer and
determine if you were infected.  But upon looking at it in an editor
certain things just look bad.  It looks like it starts a file with the
contents of ls, then cats your passowrd files on, then tries to initiate a
net connection and sendmail the file to an address at yahoo.com?  Now I've
been up for a *long* time, so maybe I'm just being paranoid.  I know the
files would be encypted anyway, just curious.  So has anyone else heard of
this would be virus?

TIA,

jt

time to sleep...