Re: fdisk program in MSDOS

On Tue, Jan 02, 2001 at 10:16:50PM -0600, Michael Light wrote:
> I just recently bought a debian software package and I've been reading
> the book 'Learning Debian GNU/Linux'.  I tried using the fdisk utility
> on my hard drive.  One of the things I've noticed is that on my menu
> there is no number 5. Change current fixed disk drive.  Is that
> necessary and what do I do if it is?

Been a little while since I played with fdisk, but maybe you need to
enable "expert" mode to access some additional functionality.  You might
be able to generate a better response if you just state what it is
you're trying to do and what problems you're encountering.  Note: I
think the Debian shipped with some of these books is a little broken
(and possibly old).  You may want to install Potato (stable) if the CD
doesn't already include it.  Also, some older versions of fdisk don't
handle large harddisks (>8GB) well (hence "expert mode").

Anyway, a quick run of fdisk only shows "lettered" commands, so I can't
try to guess what "5" means.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>