Re: <newbie> public_html directory requires chmod -R 755 constantly?

What you probably want is umask.

What it does is set the default permissions of files you create.

In my /etc/profile is the line:
umask 022

It can also be set in your .profile.
you can check what your current setting is by
umask

So when I create a file, it would normally be created as 666 but with umask
022 it comes out as 644, which should be suitable for web pages that aren't
cgi-bin. umask works by subtracting the bits from the respective permission
bits.

Hope that helps

rick

--
A picture is worth about 25000 characters.
Any more and it takes too long to download.