Re: Multimedia Performance

David Steinberg wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Philipp Schulte wrote:
>
> > From all I have heard the missing pentium optimizations shouldn't make
> > much difference.
> > You should check if your HD is working in UDMA-mode
> > $hdparm /dev/hda
>
> Hi Phil,
>
> Thanks for replying.  From hdparm...
>  using_dma    =  1 (on)
>
> > because this is what the patch is ment for. I don't need the IDE-patch
> > on my Athlon-system, I just do a "hdparm -d1 -X68 /dev/hda" in my boot
> > scripts and it works.
>
> As I understand it, the Viper chipset isn't supported without the patch.
> I found that if I tried to do "hdparm -d1" without it, nothing happened.
>
> Are you using that chipset, or some other disk controller?

I've not seen the Viper explicitly supported except through Hedrick's
ATA patch, but using the following:

$ hdparm -c1 -d1 -X67 -k1 /dev/hdX

Should set you into ATA33 mode, even without the patch.  It's been a
while since I've used a Viper board every day, but I can look into it a
bit.  Note that -d1 does not always set 32bit I/0, so forcing -c1 is a
good idea, and -k1 is an even better idea, since IDE resets are common,
and often go without notifying root or the message log.  You should not
be able to use -X68 without the patch, since the Viper was never meant
to do ATA66 in the first place, and Andre's ATA66 patch is a hack that
just /happens/ to work on most boards.

--
-=|JP|=-                "Why, oh, why didn't I take the blue pill?"
Jon Pennington        | Atipa Linux Solutions   -o)

6D04 39E0 CAE9 9ADA 2CA3  2EBE 898A 6C37 CA1E A29C