Zip Drive not Recognized as Block Device

Hi Folks;
The Zip Drive uses a separate parallel port card to which it is
plugged into (works under Windows 98). I have added the
io=0x278 to "modules.conf", and run "depmod -a" to update
the "modules.dep". As shown below the new ioport is
recognized by /proc/parport/1/hardware. What do I have to
do to get the ioport accepted by parport_pc?

root@linux:/home/clay > modprobe parport_pc
root@linux:/home/clay > lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
parport_pc              7440   0  (unused)
parport                 7432   0  [parport_pc]

root@linux:/home/clay > mount /zip
mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/sda4 as a block device
       (maybe `insmod driver'?)

root@linux:/home/clay > less /proc/parport/0/hardware
base:   0x378
irq:    none
dma:    none
modes:  SPP,ECP,ECPEPP,ECPPS2

root@linux:/home/clay > less /proc/parport/1/hardware
base:   0x278
irq:    none
dma:    none
modes:  SPP,PS2

root@linux:/home/clay > less /etc/fstab
/dev/sda4       /zip    ext2    defaults  0 0
/dev/sda4       /zipdos vfat    defaults  0 0

TIA
Clay Stapleton