Re: [OT] all you emulator folk, please read this

>Hey,
>
>Over the past year, I have begun a conquest to find the perfect emu's =
>under Linux.  Here's what I got.
>
>SNES: snes9x: beautiful, I love this emulator, the only flaw is, no =
>screenshot support?
>    correct me if I'm wrong about the screenshots
>
>GENESIS: dgen: not to great, they say it's the best Linux has to offer.  =
>Please tell me this is not true.  The sound
>   quality/timing sucks, and I can't get the joystick support to work.
>
>MAME: mame: excellent, no problems
>
>PLAYSTATION: I haven't found anything that is working (yet).
>
>N64: same as Playstation.
>
>DREAMCAST: I Don't think this has ever been emulated at all
>
>Anyways, if you guys can think of any others I need to know about, =
>please share.

Your list is pretty much what I've come up with as well, minus some missing
systems!

Go to http://www.zophar.net and look on the right hand side. Unix emulators are
way down at the bottom, but they're there. This is the best list of emulators
available for Linux I've seen.

Mess, the "sister" project to MAME is very interesting. Simply put, it's trying
to support game consoles (NES, Sega Master System, Genesis, Atari 2600, etc.)
and old computers (TI-994A, C64, Apple IIe, etc.). Pretty much everything that
MAME doesn't emulate! For some reason though, most emulator developers perfer to
start from scratch vs. using a very functional code-base (aka MAME). I
understand there is more to learn by reinventing the wheel and you can optimize
more, but cmon...Oh well.

IMHO, Linux is behind Windoze in emulation but I've been working to change
that:)

Scott