Re: copying a file system across the network

To quote Lindsay Allen <allen@cleo.murdoch.edu.au>,
#
# Past messages have detailed how to copy a file system from one drive
# another, but now I need to do it across the network.  Of course I need
# preserve soft and hard links and device files.
#
# I do have a tape device here, but at 525Mb it's nowhere near big
enough
# for the job.  I have ssh but not rsh.
#
# Is there a straight-forward way of doing this?  Thanks for any
pointers.

I'd suggest one of two methods:

1) 'umount <mounted filesystems you don't want copied: ie /proc>; tar c
/ > partition.tar' -or- 'umount <mounted filesystems you don't want
copied: ie /proc>; (tar c / | gzip -9) > partition.tar.gz' if you've got
more CPU power than network bandwidth.
2) and I'm not sure about this, but 'scp' would be good here. It will do
on-the-fly compression. Just read the docs to double-check that it
handles links and device files properly. It's part of 'ssh'.

Dave