Re: Specifying configure options building from source?

kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
>on Sun, Dec 31, 2000 at 04:12:42PM -0800, kmself@ix.netcom.com
>(kmself@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
>> I'm trying to build mutt from sources with the gzip patch.
>>
>> How do I pass the option "--enable-gzip" when running
>> "debian/rules binary"?  Specifying this on the command line doesn't seem
>> to work.  The Debian FAQ doesn't mention this, nor the dpkg-dev manpage.
>
>Um.  --enable-compressed
>
>I added this to the debian/rules script as a compile option, appears to
>have taken.

As you guessed, you can't usually pass options to 'debian/rules binary'.
Occasionally you can; since debian/rules is a Makefile, you can pass
make variables in with 'fakeroot debian/rules binary VARIABLE=value'
(although normally you could do the same thing by setting an environment
variable). Most of the time you just have to do what you did, though.

The most common case where this is useful is for packages with
Standards-Version: 3.2.0 or higher, where it's recommended that you
should be able to set DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=debug to build binaries with
debugging information, and DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=debug,nostrip to refrain
from stripping debugging information away before building the .deb.