Re: mutt -- compressed mailboxes, exerimental breaks 'open-hook', etc.

on Sun, Dec 31, 2000 at 12:46:54PM -0800, kmself@ix.netcom.com (kmself@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
> on Sat, Dec 30, 2000 at 03:04:39AM -0800, kmself@ix.netcom.com (kmself@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
> > on Fri, Dec 29, 2000 at 02:56:46AM -0800, kmself@ix.netcom.com (kmself@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
> > > Package: mutt
> > > Version: 1.3.12-2
> > > Woody.
> > >
> > > I'd recently added the following lines to my ~/.muttrc to allow use of
> > > (and access to) compressed mailboxes.  They're now coming up as "unknown
> > > commands" on mutt invocation on an update to the latest mutt in Woody.
> > > Anyone know the problem or got a fix?  Bug tracking lists nothing
> > > appropriate on the topic.
> >
> > It appears that the gzip patch was lost in the shuffle.
>
> Officially, even.  It's listed in the README, as Marco d'Itri (mutt
> maintainer) pointed out in response to the bug report.  I've requested
> it be added, as this breaks backward compatibility.
>
> Meantime, I'm about to learn how to compile from sources and apply the
> patch myself.  Tips, anyone?

Ok, got it figured out.

If you don't already, add a 'source' package list line to your
/etc/apt/sources.list file:

    deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free

As root, from a directory you don't mind building in:

    $ apt-get update
    $ apt-get source mutt

Get the appropriate comresseded mailbox patch, and follow directions for
applying patch, from:

    http://www.spinnaker.de/mutt/compressed/

You need to create a new rules file from the old one as follows.

    [root@navel:debian]$ diff rules.old rules
    17c17,18
    <               --with-pgp --with-mixmaster --with-ncurses --with-sasl
    ---
    >               --with-pgp --with-mixmaster --with-ncurses --with-sasl \
    >               --enable-compressed

Build and make package.  Following assumes you're in the mutt source directory:

    $ debian/rules build
    $ debian/rules binary

If everything looks OK, install:

    $ dpkg -i ../mutt<version>.deb

You might want to place this on hold so it's not overwritten on your next
upgrade:

    $ echo "mutt hold" | dpkg --set-selections

Cheers.