Re: New course for Debian University

On Fri, Dec 29, 2000 at 08:10:52PM +0000, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> Brian Keck wrote:
>   >On the question of /usr/src/linux & symlinks, Linus sent a couple
>   >of messages to linux-kernel a few months ago ...
>

> Yes, but these refer to the commonly found link from /usr/include/asm
> into /usr/src/linux/include; that is the link that should not be there.
> Linus is saying that the include files used to build glibc should also
> be used to build any programs that call on glibc.
>
> (The second person Linus was answering had some confusion about the
> links he was talking about -- confusion which Linus did not notice or
> ignored.)
>
> I can see no harm at all in having a symbolic link from /usr/src/linux
> to the actual kernel source directory.

The gist I got from it was that the headers in /usr/src/linux should be those
headers that glibc was compiled against, regardless of what kernel you're
actually running.  Like if you were running potato with the kernel upgraded to
2.2.18, you should still have the source (or the headers, at least) to 2.2.17
in /usr/src/linux.

At least, that's what I thought, feel free to correct me.

-Rob