Filemap limit and Squid

Hello List,

I am using Debian Potato/Kernel 2.2.17. I have
configured my linux box as a dialup gateway to
internet. I am using Squid as a transparent proxy with
ipchains. At times, Squid hesitates to start on boot
up. On forcefully reloding squid with
/etc/init.d/squid start I am getting the error

FATAL: file_map_allocate: Exceeded filemap limit

in access.log. When I delete the gzipped log files and
restarting the squid, it is functioning properly. What
could be the reason ? What is filemap limit ?

Thanks and Regards,

Mathew