Compiling XEmacs-21.1.12 to use NeXt-style scrollbars

I have always compiled XEmacs from source to use NeXtstep like
scrollbars. In addition to all the packages I would normally need to
compile XEmacs, I would install nextaw and pass the following flags to
./configure when building XEmacs:

--with-scrollbars=athena --with-dialogs=athena

I would then change /etc/ld.so.conf so that the first line was
/usr/X11R6/lib/neXtaw. And this would work giving XEmacs the NeXtstep
scrollbars that I wanted.

Then, a few weeks ago the scrollbars "broke". For some reason, the
Nextstep scrollbars don't appear, instead I get weird-shaded
scrollbars.

I tried specifying athena3d (instead of athena) in the ./configure
arguments to XEmacs, but that hasn't fixed the problem.

Is anyone currently using XEmacs-21.1.12 with NeXtstep scrollbars under
XFree86-4.0.2-1 ? If so, how did you configure XEmacs ?

I had this working before X-Free 4.0 was introduced in woody. Currently,
I am tracking sid, and when I had this working I was tracking woody
(which was unstable proper at the time).

I'd appreciate any info.

Thanks.

--
Salman Ahmed