Re: Kernel 2.4 on potato

On Wed, Dec 27, 2000 at 02:28:33PM +0400, Rino Mardo wrote:

> > I'm using kernel 2.4 on my potato box without any problems. I've installed
> > modutils from woody to recognize new directories organization under
> > /lib/modules/ and ppp package from woody to make ppp work as a module with
> > such modutils configuration:
> >
> > alias char-major-108    ppp_generic
> > alias /dev/ppp          ppp_generic
> > alias tty-ldisc-3       ppp_async
> > alias tty-ldisc-14      ppp_synctty
> > alias ppp-compress-21   bsd_comp
> > alias ppp-compress-24   ppp_deflate
> > alias ppp-compress-26   ppp_deflate
> >
> > With these two modifications everything works just fine. Here you have
> > official list of needed packages from kernel 2.4.0-test10 source:
> >

> > o  Gnu C                  2.91.66          # gcc --version
> > o  Gnu make               3.77             # make --version
> > o  binutils               2.9.1.0.25       # ld -v
> > o  util-linux             2.10o            # kbdrate -v
> > o  modutils               2.3.18           # insmod -V
> > o  e2fsprogs              1.19             # tune2fs --version
> > o  pcmcia-cs              3.1.21           # cardmgr -V
> > o  PPP                    2.4.0            # pppd --version
> > o  isdn4k-utils           3.1beta7         # isdnctrl 2>&1|grep version
> >
> > BTW I use e2fsprogs 1.18 from potato without any problems. Any other newer
> > packages like pcmcia-cs or isdn4-utils I don't use so I don't care about
> > them.
> >

> thanks for the supply of information.  much appreciated.
>
> i've done the check and one thing i would like to confirm is the
> following:
>
> Gnu C		2.95.2
> Gnu make	3.79.1
> binutils	2.9.5

I use exactly the same versions - versions from potato distribution. List
above is from original /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes file and in
most cases lists MINIMAL versions of programs needed. So it's not a
problem for most programs when you have higher version.

> this are the versions on my potato box.  comparing to your listing would
> it matter if i use them with kernel-2.4.0-test12 (or whatever is the
> latest)?

List of required packages for kernel 2.4.0-test12 is exactly the same
(I've checked patches 2.4.0-test11 and 2.4.0-test12 and don't see any
changes to the list above). I've compiled 2.4.0-test12 without problems
but this kernel is weird for me - it has problems with dosemu and with
ReiserFS, which I need, so I decided to stay with -test10 version and wait
for final 2.4.0. But this was bad for me - if you don't use dosemu and
ReiserFS just give it a try, without them it works just fine.

Good Luck and remember - you can always return to normal stable 2.2.x so
you risk not so much ;-)

--
|Leszek Gerwatowski|    _/_|_\
"Don't fix it if it isn't broken"