Re: Linux does not run on my new motherboard :(

On Wed, Dec 27, 2000 at 11:07:05AM +1000, Ian Tan wrote:
> I have recently purchased an ASUS A7V motherboard (socket A) with
built-in "Promise ATA/100 IDE controller", and so I happily bought a
new 30Gb Quantum ATA/100 hard disk. :)

> However, Potato doesn't like my IDE controller and my hard disk is
not detected, hence my system is paralised without a hard disk. (Well,
I suspect that it is the unrecognised IDE controller that is the
likely cause of fault, and hard disk will be detected if the correct
IDE controller module is loaded into the kernel)

> I have tried the udma66 and the idepci flavors and none of them seem
to work...

Hi Ian!
There is a kernel-patch out in the net, and with the patched kernel
you can create a boot-floppy and start the installation.
Another possible solution (I did it that way) is to plug the HDD onto
the other Controller. As long as you doesn't use more than one hard
disks, there won't be any difference in speed, because a lonely HDD
hasn't enough power for even an UDMA-66-controller.

G'night!

Stephen Rueger