can't install Netscape

I read somewhere that if I put the Netscape gz file in /tmp then dselect
will figure out to install it. That doesn't do it. I'm trying to install
4.75. What's the procedure?

Related question, for gz files that have no debian install smarts at all how
do I install those? Do I just create a directory somewhere? How do I gunzip
and untar in one step? Is there an easy/automated way to install a program
in the WindowMaker menus or do I need to manually config files? If manual,
what config file do I look for?

Thanks.

Robin
rower@movieeditor.com