Re: still no luck with ethernet between 2 computers

Matthias Schulz wrote:

> The only difference I can see is 192.168.0.1.1026 vs. matthschulzg.1028.
> The 1026 and 1028 are the prcessnumbers on 192.168.0.1 right? So they are
> just to ignore!?

looks like it yeah.

> But eth seems not to be able to resolve that matthschulzg is 192.168.0.1.
> Yes it is in /etc/hosts though just as
> 192.168.0.1     matthschulzg            . Is  this correct?

take out the period if it is in /etc/hosts. also it may help(although it
can break
normal internet usage). edit /etc/nsswitch.conf and find the line that
says hosts:
on it, and remove everything after the word hosts: except the word
files. not all
programs use this file but maybe inetd does. or you can try removing
tcp_wrappers
from inetd by deleting the part of the line that has /usr/sbin/tcpd (or
whatever its called) and restart inetd to see if that does it.

> Where can I find some detailed info about arp?

not sure myself, there is probably an RFC for it. although ARP doesn't
do
name resolution just MAC->IP and the other way around.

nate

--
:::
ICQ: 75132336