Scrolling the mouse wheel of Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer (again) in Corel Linux 1.2

I am yet another user having difficulty getting the wheel of a
Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer (the big mouse with the optical eye)
to scroll in Linux.  I am running Corel Linux Desktop version 1.2
with a 2.2.16 kernel, and with Corel's modifications to KDE. Corel
Linux is a flavour of Debian, so a few packages are from the latest
stable release of Debian (potato).

Xfree is version 3.3.6. gpm is version 1.17.8-18. Imwheel was
behaving strangely and I uninstalled it.  Following advice from Colas
Nahaboo's X mouse wheel scroll page (http://www-
sop.inria.fr/koala/colas/mouse-wheel-scroll/) and other
sources, I set up the pointer section of XF86Config like this:

Section "Pointer"
 Protocol  	"imps/2"
 Device  	"/dev/psaux"
 Resolution       100
 Buttons		 5
 ZAxisMapping	 4 5
EndSection

The following appear to be consensus settings for /etc/gpm.conf:

device=y
responsiveness=
repeat_type=ms3
type=imps2
# append=""

I will be trying Colas Nahaboo's modifications to Netscape to see if
the wheel scrolls there. I gather that users of Debian have had
particular difficulty getting a wheel mouse to scroll. Has anyone
solved this?

I will be attempting to post this message to:

debian-user@lists.debian.org
thecorelsupport.linux.corellinux newsgroup
X Mouse Wheel WWW Board:
http://www-sop.inria.fr/koala/colas/mouse-wheel-scroll/