Re: Do I need to keep /var/cache/apt/archives contents?

on Sun, Dec 24, 2000 at 10:44:28AM +0100, Daniel de los Reyes (dadecal@s2-selling.com) wrote:
> I have just realiced I have 320 Mb in .deb packages just lying in
> /var/cache/apt/archives.
> What are they doing there? Can I safely remove them?

They're cached.  They're helpful (possibly), but not essential.

If you need to reinstall the packages, it's faster to get them from
cache than over the net.

If you just want to get rid of duplicate or updated packages:

    $ apt-get autoclean

If you want to get rid of *all* the packages:

    $ apt-get clean

...you can also delete the package files manually if needs be.