chat error & kernel

I installed debian and used pppconfig to generate the chat
scripts. Everything worked ok.

A little later, I installed a custom kernel using my regular
parameters ( ie: moving ppp into the kernel, not a module ).
I couldn't connect, or even dial out as far as i could tell.
In syslog I find "Chat: can't get terminal parameter:
input/output error."

But if I boot from the floppy boot disk I made during install,
pon/ppp works. The custom kernel is the 2.2r2 source package
(2.2.18, from memory) with a security patch that I've used on that
machine without problems before.

I'm sure I must be missing something configuring the kernel, but
I can't catch it.

thanks & best wishes,
Jon