Catch-22 with modules/backups

I did not install SCSI support during my debian-2.2.17pre6
installation, since I have no SCSI devices.

I have one backup mechanism, a CD-Rewritable drive.
The CD-Rewritable howto says I need SCSI support.
(whoops!)

I am eager to try making a debian kernel,
to make sure only the drivers I need are there,
but first I need to make a backup !!!

The module I am missing is sr_mod, which I am told is loadable.
dselect knows nothing about scsi or sr_mod,
apt-get knows the same.
www.google.com has no links to any sources that I can find.
If you look for "sr_mod" in the debian packages area,
you get nothing, becuase it treats the _ as a space.

Two or three people have tried to give me help, but one
said "good luck" and the other main one began
"Start with a clean .config file" (um, what .config file?)

I am using 2.2.17-pre6 and all I want to do is get and
load a "loadable device driver".

I know I could have gotten this module off of my installation
CDs in the first place.

Please help, thankfully,

      Joshua S Narins

PS I don't want to install debian on my swap partition, and
then try to move the sr_mod module, but I bet it might work.