Re: How to track *part* of unstable?

Dave Sherohman <esper@sherohman.org> wrote:
>On Fri, Dec 22, 2000 at 03:06:33PM -0500, D-Man wrote:
>> I don't think that can be done.  Woody (unstable) is based on glibc
>> 2.2 while potato is based on glibc 2.1.  Thus any binaries for woody
>> that use the C library at all won't run (even if you get them to
>> install) on potato.
>
>Seems to work for me when I install lone woody packages on my potato boxes.

It depends on the package. Some are built against glibc 2.1 and some
against 2.2, since developers - and autobuilders - don't have to be
running unstable.

>Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to do this easily - there doesn't seem
>to be any way to tell apt, "Keep the system up to date with potato, except
>for packages foo, bar, and baz, which should be woody."

There will be, come apt 0.4. Packages are available from
http://people.debian.org/~jgg/apt/, though I have no idea how stable
they are. You can reportedly do things like 'apt-get install foo=woody'.

>The closest I've come is:
>
>- Edit /etc/apt/sources.list to point at potato
>- apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade
>- Edit /etc/apt/sources.list to point at woody
>- apt-get update ; apt-get install foo bar baz

That, I think, is the best advice for current apt, though if you're
tracking potato you'll need to point sources.list back to potato again
at the end.