Re: reading screen contents

John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu> writes:

> On 23 Dec 2000, Robert Epprecht wrote:
> > can a program running on a text console read the current screen contents?

> look at /dev/console or /dev/tty0: both refer to the current virtual
> terminal.

Thank you for your answer.

cat /dev/console > ABF
cat: /dev/console: Permission denied

ls -l /dev/console
crw--w--w-    1 root     tty        5,   1 Dec 23 10:49 /dev/console

(/dev/tty0 gives a similar result)

Hmm, I don't know if I really want to change these permissions...
I definetely do *not* want to require the users of my program to do that.
I don't think they would want to add themselves to group tty either...

So, is it possible at all?

Robert Epprecht