Re: What is the file name of the ps2 mouse driver?

Thanks guys for all of the pointers. I am really not a newbie and have
covered all of the areas responded to. I do not find a mouse driver in
my /lib/modules/kernel-2.2.13/misc  or any of the other dirs here. There
should be a driver ps2mouse.o or the like created when the kernel is
compiled and installed. I used the make-kpkg buildkernel command and
then installed the resulting kernel-**.deb files. This has worked for
several debian generations. I checked the kernel distributions from
kernel.org & did not find a ps2mouse driver in the tarball at all. Is
there one? Am I missing something.
My current gpmconfig file:

device=/dev/psaux
responsiveness=
repeat_type=raw
type=ps2
append=""

My current gpm-root config file:
button 1 {
  name "ttys"

  ""        f.nop
  "login on a new tty" f.mktty
  ""        f.nop
  "tty  1"  f.jptty  "1"
  "tty  2"  f.jptty  "2"
  "tty  3"  f.jptty  "3"
  "tty  4"  f.jptty  "4"
  ""         f.nop
  "tty  5"  f.jptty   "5"
  "tty  6"  f.jptty   "6"
  "tty  7"  f.jptty   "7"
  "tty  8"  f.jptty   "8"
  ""        f.nop
  "more of them..." {

    "tty  9"  f.jptty  "9"
    "tty 10"  f.jptty  "10"
    "tty 11"  f.jptty  "11"
    "tty 12"  f.jptty  "12"
    ""         f.nop
    "tty 13"  f.jptty   "13"
    "tty 14"  f.jptty   "14"
    "tty 15"  f.jptty   "15"
    "tty 16"  f.jptty   "16"
    ""        f.nop
    "more of them..." {
	  "tty 17" f.jptty  "17"
      }
  }

}

button 2 {
  name "system status"
  foreground red
  background black
  border yellow
  head bright yellow

  ""          f.nop
  "%b %d %Y"  f.time
  "%H:%M"     f.time
  ""          f.nop
  "load: "    f.load
  "free:"     f.free
  "" f.nop
  "report disk usage to ~/du" f.bgcmd  "du ~ | sort -rn > ~/du"
  "print mail headers to tty" f.bgcmd
	 "grep '^From ' /var/spool/mail/$USER | tail"
}

button 3 {
  name "far ttys"

  foreground black
  background red
  border bright yellow
  head bright yellow

  "tty  9"  f.jptty   "9"
  "tty 10"  f.jptty  "10"
  "tty 11"  f.jptty  "11"
  "tty 12"  f.jptty "12"
  ""         f.nop

  "tty 13" f.jptty "13"
  "tty 14" f.jptty "14"
  "tty 15" f.jptty "15"
  "tty 16" f.jptty "16"
  ""         f.nop

Excerpt from my current Xf86config file:

Section "Pointer"
   Protocol        "PS/2"
   Device          "/dev/mouse"
   Emulate3Timeout 50
   Resolution      100
   Buttons         3
   Emulate3Buttons
EndSection

Keep in mind that the mouse in X; works, but Xterm & console does not.
Also all of this hardware was working on a previous system that had been
upgraded from hamm, bo, slink, to potato. I installed 2 new hard drives
and decided to do a clean install of Debian 2.2r2 recently downloaded
from the debian.org website.
ANY other ideas please....

Thanks!
John