Re: lilo

Pending further investigation, we now allege that Stefaans Mostert wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Well I was wondering can one transfer lilo onto a stiffy and boot from
> that?

That sounds a bit kinky.  You might want to ask on debian-adult.

> Scenario:
> You reinstall windows (wich is on the same drive as linux) and it
> overwrites your mbr.After wich you suddenly and to your horror discover
> that the dog lying in the corner looks so content beacause he has just
> devouered you bootdisk!!
>
> What now?
> I realize you will need lilo.conf in there somewhere to specify your
> root partition.

lilo.conf is stored in /etc.  Any bootable disk that can mount that
partition can get to that file.

If you have the Debian CDs, you can boot from the first one.  When the
setup starts, switch to the second terminal and you have access to a
console.  From there you can mount paritions on your hard drive, run
lilo (using chroot or the -r switch), etc.  Linuxcare also
makes a bootable CD that is even better; you can download an image
from http://open-projects.linuxcare.com/BBC/ (~50 MB I think) and
burn a couple copies.