Banner server avoidence

Hello list,

I saw this in a posting in an Amiga mailing list that I'm still
subscribed to:

>The first place Genesis looks for anything is in db/hosts, and
> if the ad-servers are listed there it will attempt to get the
> banners from the address given there. Since there are none,
> the banner command will simply fail.

and wondered if there was some way I could do something similar in
Debian?

What happens with this particular package is that there's a local file
linking IP addreses to urls, that is checked before looking for it on
the net, rather like a local DNS.  By linking ad/banner server urls to,
say the local IP 127.0.0.1, the look-up fails and is abandoned with the
result that you don't download anything from these servers i.e adverts
etc :-)

TIA

LeeE