Re: installing pine

Quoting Dwight Johnson (dwj@aaronsrod.com):
> On Sun, 17 Dec 2000, ktb wrote:
>
> >   You might want to try mutt.  I like it a lot better.  It
> > 	took some configuring but it isn't as clunky as pine.
>
> I have recently been trying mutt and, quite honestly, I have find mutt a
> lot clunkier than Pine.
>
> One example: when you call up Pine for the first time in any home
> directory, Pine creates a default .pinerc and it is extremely easy to
> customize Pine from the Pine master menu.
>
> In contrast, with mutt, no .muttrc is created automatically on first use
> and evidently there exists no easy to use configuration program (at least I
> have been unable to find one) as there is in Pine.

These are the sorts of issues that concern "beginners" who can be
helped by having a good /etc/Muttrc file. Power users aren't really
concerned.

As my institutional copy of mutt resides in my own disk space (they
don't support it), I would be disappointed at being quota'd for all
that redundant help.

> It took me an hour of
> wading through documentation to figure out how to just get my 'From:'
> header to display my e-mail address. Apparently, I must do the same for
> each item of customization I want in mutt.
>
> Another example: control and navigation keys are clearly displayed at the
> bottom of each Pine screen. For the equivalent functionality in mutt, I
> must press '?' and wade through a gadzillion keys displayed over multiple
> screens.

There's a set of key bindings in the deb for people used to pine.
Again, for the power user, there's no desire for real estate to be
wasted on stuff like that.

> I would gladly convert to mutt from Pine just to get a more pure open
> source license. But, in my opinion, the clunkiness of mutt makes such a
> conversion quite formidable when I must still read my e-mail each day.

There are very few different commands you actually need just to
read day-to-day emails, and the keystrokes needed can be (and are
by default?) displayed in one line.

> So I am very surprised to hear you say that you think Pine is clunkier than
> mutt. I would welcome learning in what ways.

Configurability, customisability, whatever, of keystrokes and status
information for each type of screen, navigation, colours, headers,
editor, etc.

Cheers,