Microtek ScanMaker V310

I have potato, kernel 2.2.13, ppSCSI driver patch.
I typed 'xscanimage' and tried to do a preview scan.
What a noise!  I opened the scanner and the light bar
was shaking back and forth like it had Parkinson's.
I'm concerned this could damage my scanner.
Yes, I have done preview scans under another OS
and they were not so noisy; also faster, I think.
Here is the text output from xscanimage:

Scanner attributes from device structure

Scanner ID...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  Vendor Name:        '        '
  Model Name:         'Scanner 300A4   '
  Revision:           '4.07'
  Model Code:         0x93 (ScanMaker 330)
  Device Type Code:   0x06 (Scanner),
  Scanner type:       Flatbed scanner
  Supported options:  Automatic document feeder: Yes
                      Transparency media adapter: Yes
                      Auto paper detecting: Yes
                      Advanced picture system: No
                      Stripes: No
                      Slides: No
  Scan button:        No

Imaging Capabilities...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  Color scanner:      Yes
  Number passes:      1 pass
  Resolution:         X-max:   300 dpi
                      Y-max:   600 dpi
  Geometry:           Geometric width:  2550 pts (8.50'')
                      Geometric height: 3510 pts (11.70'')
  Optical resol.  :   300
  Modes:              Lineart:      Yes
                      Halftone:     No
                      Gray:         Yes
                      Color:        Yes
  Depths:             Nibble Gray:  No
                      10-bit-color: No
                      12-bit-color: No
  d/l of HT pattern:  No
  Builtin HT patt.:   0
  LUT capabilities:   1024 bytes

Miscellaneous capabilities...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  Data format:        Line by line in segregated sequence,
                      with color indicator
  Color Sequence:     G - B - R
  CCD gap:            8 lines
  CCD pixels:         2550