Re: xdm takes so long to start [was Re: New X Server crashes]

Jaye Inabnit ke6sls wrote:

>     Erik,
>
> Not sure if this will help at all, but if you are running kde, there may
> be a problem with xdm as window manager - I didn't read long on it, but
> kde is a "session-manager" and therefore requires I guess kdm to run.
>
> So, if you are running kde, might wanna post a note to debian-kde and
> see if they can help. What i recall is that kde will battle for control
> of x or something like that.

  I am not sure what it means using kde. I have lots of kde apps
installed (and libs as well, of course), but I do not run any part of
kde at startup (AFAIK).

  also, to be precise, the delay is even before the xdm login script
appears, after I type in username/password it gets started  pretty
quickly. What the whole process of booting looks like is: there are
normal bios/lilo/kernal messages, the the startup scripts are run, one
of the last messages is from xdm startup script (saying it is started)
and then I get login prompt (on the virtual console). X is not started,
there is nothing on vt7. I can login as usual. After about one minute
the X starts, the xdm login screen appears on the vt7.

  does anybody else experience this delay?

	erik