strange mgetty+sendfax problem

Hello,

I am using mgetty+sendfax on top of potato linux box. It works pretty
well (sends/recieves  faxes) but sometimes (and always when I am sending
a fax to the same target fax machine) the sendfax manages to send only a
couple of pages and then fails to fetch the OK signal and hungs.
sending f3.g3
page complete, 32456 bytes sent
sending DLE ETX
fax_wait_for OK
Warning: got alarm signal ......

Remarkably, since this moment the sendfax nearly never manages to even
to call the remote fax machine (sends the number and then dies)

So I have to reboot and switch of the modem. I am using ELSA microlink
56k fun

any ideas?

thanks