Re: /home owner and group changed

Quoting ktb (x.y.f@home.com):
> 	I don't know how but all the directories and files in my /home
> 	directory changed group and ownership.  They were listed as -
> 	1000 1000

Can I assume that kent was the first user you installed on the
system? In which case, kent would normally be given the UID
1000 and the GID 1000.

Your /home files would then have 1000.1000 as their owner.

What appears to have happened is that ls can no longer find out
who the UID and GID belong to, so it falls back to listing the
raw numbers.

The files /etc/passwd and /etc/group ought to contain lines like

kent:x:1000:1000:Your name,and address,etc.,:/home/kent:/bin/bash

and

kent:x:1000:

respectively. Do they not?

It shouldn't be necessary to alter the ownership of the files at all.
1000 is the first number used by Debian, and it also uses
owner-groups, i.e. each user has a group with the same name and number.

So your fix was attacking the problem from the wrong end.

Cheers,