Re: Debian checks filesystems at every boot

On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 02:29:23PM -0800, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> on Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 08:35:28PM +0100, Nico De Ranter (nico@sonycom.com) wrote:
> > Howdy,
> >
> > I just got a new computer and installed Debian on it (ofcourse :-).
> > The installation uses 2 partitions, 1 of 5GB and 1 of 15GB (hey I have
> > to do something with all that diskspace don't I :-).  I did the same
> > install as I always did starting from the Debian 2.2 cd's. However
> > with the new PC every time I boot Linux will complain the filesystems
> > weren't properly unmounted and will do a full check of the
> > filesystems.  I do ofcourse always make sure to turn off the machine
> > by typing "halt".
>
> This is your problem.  Try:
>
>   $ shutdown -h now

I don't think so -- man halt:

NOTES
       Under  older  sysvinit  releases  , reboot and halt should
       never be called directly. From release 2.74  on  halt  and
       reboot invoke shutdown(8) if the system is not in runlevel
       0 or 6. This means that if halt or reboot cannot find  out
       the  current  runlevel  (for  example,  when /var/run/utmp
       hasn't  been  initialized  correctly)  shutdown  will   be
       called, which might not be what you want.  Use the -f flag
       if you want to do a hard halt or reboot.

At least it works as advertised here; same for "reboot".  I think this
has been the case for some time under linux.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>