Re: XDM and Variable X Server Configurations?

  I'd suggest either use 16 bpp all the time or simply switch to virtual
console, run startx -- -bpp 16 and use this second X server for GL stuff

  or modify xdm config to start two X servers - one with your regular
settings, the other one for 3D stuff

  there are probably some other ways as well.

  most of the X server that you are not using at given time would be
swapped out I guess, so you only need sufficient amount of swap space,
not RAM.

	erik